From this place you can learn the MEL. You will find video, text and pdf tutorial in the form syllabus so that you can learn MEL as scripting language.
MEL is core language of Maya, Maya is almost written in MEL. Maya User interface has been/can be created MEL. With MEL you can write your own script in Maya, Thus MEL is a scripting language. All tools and panels of interface and all things of interface are scripted in MEL. MEL stands for Maya Embedded Language. Even a MEL scripter can all user interface even scripter can create their own interface in Maya. MEL is expert level job. It needs a little basic understanding of programming. If you have some knowhow in C++ or you can easily understand the MEL.
You can read this tutorial step by step
Let’s Start MEL
- Type a single command in command line
- Hit the Enter of Numeric Pad instead of the main keyboard Pad
- Type delete and then semi colon in command line.
- Type a single command plolyCube and then semi colon in command line,
- Hit Enter on Numeric KeyPad of your Keyboard
- Type delete and semi colon,
- Type scale 3 5 6 and then semi colon
- Hit Enter of the Numeric KeyPad of your Keyboard
- Type rotate 30 20 110 and then semi colon
- Hit Enter of the Numeric Pad of your Key board
- Type rotate 0 0 0 and then semi colon
- Type in command line the following command,
- This will select a face of Poly Cube which is called component level
- Type delete and then semi colon
Note: you will have to end up with a semi colon.
Now you will delete the sphere by typing simply the word delete in command line
This way you have deleted the object by simply writing a little word delete in command line
Congratulations. You are now writing the MEL script.
Let’s go ahead.
Now try to create a Poly Cube by putting a single command in command line,
Again delete the Poly Cube by typing simply delete and then semi colon
Let’s go more ahead,
Now we’ll learn how to modify object with MEL commands
Lets scale our object with MEL
Scale 3 5 6;
This will scale the object which has already been created previously see the images below,
Let’s rotate the same scaled object now
rotate 30 20 110;
We have rotated our object but it looks odd and we should reset the rotation of our object by writing a MEL script.
rotate 0 0 0;
this will reset the rotation of our object
Let’s select a component of our object. We know a Poly Cube has 6 sides,
Each side is a face of Poly Cube. We select a single face or more than one face at time with MEL scrip
select -r polySurface1.f ;
select is a command
-r is flag
polySurface1 is the name of Poly cube
and f is the number of face
Let’s delete this single face now to show the hollowness of the box instead of a solid box
We are going ahead step by step, keep pace with us and don’t leave visit next lesson regularly if you really want to learn MEL .
Related Posts in this Category
Filed Under: Uncategorized
About the Author: